Saturday, October 9, 2010

Weren't we here last year at this time???

I can't figure for the love of me why time goes so fast...I mean we were here last fall and now it's a whole new fall all over again. Meaning...the canning and baking are starting up again, Bazaar time, Thanksgiving (turkey...yum) and then of course Christmas break...
I just finished my salsa and tomatoes for the year. No such luck in getting enough to worry about but I managed to do a few quarts...I found plenty of berries to do for jam and syrup (recipe coming later). Hopefully this year nobody ends up in hospital for surgery and stays healthy...(namely me!!)
Kellie fixed us a great dinner last night...Alfredo chicken, asparagus and nice crusty hot garlic bread to go along with all that pasta...it was really good. Today I will fix a nice pork butt and make into a large pot of pulled pork for dinner and whatever else they want to eat it for...
And...today is football day. Tony and the recliner become as one and veg until his butt is molded into the seat and maybe just maybe he get out to grab a few snacks and try not to choke on it while laying back in the "man-chair". Donut the cat like it too ;0). He's our baby who lays anywhere he pleases and covers the entire coffee table. And not unlike his male counter-part...he like his nibbies rubbed >;0) Are males of all species all the same?? Probably. You feed them, let them outside to do their thing and hope they at least clean up after themselves...some of them anyway...well I'm off track abit here...
I was planning on putting the pork on the blog along with something special...;0)
Everyone does it different. I'm one for simple and good tasting. My Mom was great at making something out of nothing. I grew up in a household with very little money from time to time due to my dad being sick with MS but there was always plenty to eat.
Mom worked evenings as to be home with him or us during the day if we needed her. Many days I came home to a note and instructions on how to fix dinner. My grandmother lived with us and between her and Mom I learned from the best. Mom didn't bake a lot but she made a wicked roast that stretched out through the week into many different meals. Grandma taught me how to can and do the baking.
My Dad was easy to please...he always appreciated whatever I tried to master...even the oysters I could never quite cook long enough....or in some cases...cooked a bit too long (sorry Dad!!) . They're still not my favorite...gross.
Well to all of you out there that can't get enough of food and recipes...here's something simple to fix and it takes nothing more than a crock pot and some Sweet Baby Rays and maybe some dessert to eat with it...;0) Pumpkin Rolls anyone????
Happy Eating!!!

BBQ Pulled Pork

1 large Pork Butt roast (3 to 5 lbs or more)
**I have used boneless loins also

1 to 2 cups of water
1 medium onion...sliced
1 green pepper...sliced (your choice)
About 2 cloves of garlic...minced or chopped
lots of salt and pepper to cover roast
I also use Johnny's seasoning salt occasionally

Put into crockpot (on high) early in the am and let cook all day
Part way through the process if there's too much water, drain some off and (at you can use a cup or so of BBQ sauce over top
Let cook until it pulls apart.
Top with more BBQ if you want. I usually keep it light and then they can add it as they want to.
I turn it down after that and let it simmer
Serve with coleslaw or anything you like...right on top of the pork too!!
Sometimes we add a good cheese on ours also...like havarti or provolone ;0). (What can I say??? We like our dairy)

Toast your buns if you like and have a great meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment