Sunday, October 3, 2010

I'm really back this time...

Been awhile hasn't it?? I somehow got my blogs on the wrong web and in my normal way of stupid, it got lost but the title is there...oh well, some of us find it easier than most. Not me, I admit it. Computer handicapped is what I am...
Been trying to get some recipes going here and of course Sharon is right on track...guess she has nothing else to do and that makes her leading in the race for the "Ina Garten" award. ;0/. Oh well, if I didn't like her so well I'd make fun of her...;0)
Spent the whole weekend making salsa...thanks to Sue Lewis and her tomatoes. Then got a bug up my rear and started chopping, shoved the stupid things in a jar to process. Hey...they sell chopped tomatoes..why not see if that works in my kitchen!!
Anyway...like every other year before I use this time to stink up the kitchen with the delightful smells of jalepeno's, onions and whatever else goes into the pot. Erin complains her eyes burn (like mine don't??), Kellie keeps coming in and checking on me but never seems to pick up a knife to help chop (Mom you do it so much better than I do!!). But they do eat it all through the year and I end up giving it away. Have to say I didn't get the margarita's out like I'd hoped to but hey, I needed to keep all of my fingers intact and working away so all that produce doesn't rot on the patio...;0(
I did two different recipes this year. My usual (from a cousin) and one from Sister Rosemary Heinick (sp). She used to teach at Roy and always talked food and flowers. I really enjoyed that. Hope all of you are ready for work because this is a busy recipe to do. But once you have it done, it's great!! I'm still searching for my Pumpkin cheesecake recipe so stay tuned..
Happy Eating!!

Babe's Salsa

From: Sister Rosemary

6 Qt tomatoes - chopped and peeled (I didn't peel them)
2 cups white vinegar
6 tsp salt
6 tsp garlic salt ( I used mined..3 TBSP)
3 tsp pepper
1 red pepper - chopped
2 green pepper - chopped
4 onions - chopped
3 stalks of celery - chopped
1 lb hot peppers ( I don't seed my peppers, but if you like it milder then do so)

Stir together in large stock pot and simmer for 4 to 6 hours

Put into jars....1 tsp lemon juice in each....process for 30 minutes in hot water bath.

Yields: 18 pints


MY SALSA

6 Qt tomatoes - quartered**

Cook tomatoes until soupy and drain 2 qt of liquid and toss it. If it is still too soupy, drain more

Then add the following:

4 & 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup green onion
1/4 cup minced garlic
3 to 4 Tbsp salt
2 cup jalapeno peppers (I used banana peppers and Anahiems this year)
1/2 cup cilantro


Boil all above for 10 to 15 minutes (I usually leave it on simmer for an hour or so)
Chop fresh tomatoes - fill jars half way - Pour hot mixture on top - 1 tsp lemon juice
Seal and process for 30 minutes.

Yield: 16 pints

** Note....I use any kind of tomato but Roma are great. If you find your salsa too soupy after opening...drain it a bit and if you prefer use a blender or small chopper to smooth it out.
It's great mixed with sour cream or top off a brick of cream cheese, velveeta or whatever you like. Ole' ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment