Friday, June 3, 2011

Meatloaf Lovers Unite!!!

Well as you can see I am back and roaring to go...almost. I think I have writer's block. Not that it's a good enough reason to neglect my blog buddies but hey, it's a start. ;0)
Kellie insists that put this on the blog but I can't for the love of me understand how anyone needs a recipe for Meatloaf. Yeah, I know it's not something everyone makes anymore with all the easy stuff to zap in the microwave and such but my family can't get enough of it...especially the next day when it comes to sandwiches.
Now someone you think a couple pounds of hamburger makes a good size loaf but in this family we don't do it for anything less than 5 lbs!!! Now before you finish choking on your tongue and wonder "who the hell can eat all of that!?!" Yes, we do and no I don't make it every single week. Although it would go just as fast if I did. ;0/
For those of you who read this I hope you realize I may have a recipe but I never get it done the same way twice in a row..
We love "real" mashed spuds with this and a veggie or salad the first go-round. But the next day is the best. I grew up eating this "almost" every week because it was the cheapest cut of meat. It got pretty tiring after awhile but when my kids came along I have to say they are my biggest fans...along with the "big guy".
Hope you like this...remember to live dangerously and add a few of your favorite flavors to it if you like.
Happy Eating...

Denice's Meatloaf

(P.S..this is great as a meatball recipe too)

4 to 5 lbs - ground beef (lean to reg..your choice)
2 stacks crushed soda crackers
1 large onion - diced
2 eggs
1/2 to 1 cup milk (yes, milk!)
**2 -3 TBSP chicken base mixed with hot water
(about 1/2 cup or little more for a thick broth)
Salt and pepper - (base is very salty so you might not need too much salt)
1 to 2 TBSP minced garlic

Mix this all together until combined...I sometimes divide it and freeze part of it. Wrap in foil and label with date. Then undo the top part of the foil when baking and leave it inside for easy clean-up.

For the entire meatloaf I press it into a large loaf and put into a 9x13 stoneware pan. You can use any pan you like. I have never had one small enough for a loaf pan and never will. It's a knack I have and it's inherited from my Mother, bless her. ;0)

Bake covered with foil in a 350 degree oven for about 60+ minutes or until at least 140 degrees. Then take off foil and bake another half hour or so until top is crispy. Some of you like to coat it with ketchup but we like ours "naked and hot"!!!
When taking it out of the oven it may have a lot of grease on the bottom. My mom made gravy most of the time but we don't do that much anymore. (This is making me hungry) I usually cut it in quarters and place it on a plate of paper towels to sop it up. Then I get the first piece...the crusty part on the ends! It's the only thing I eat with ketchup or steak sauce.

We serve mashed potatoes and veggies. But for the next day I've been know to hide a piece or two so I can at least get a sandwich out of it. Kellie comes over and devours it like a praying mantis. It's every man or woman for themselves around here. I love mine on toasted sourdough, with lots of mayo, deli mustard and dill pickles. It's love at it's finest...

I'll try to keep up around here and get back to you soon...Enjoy and Happy Eating..


No comments:

Post a Comment