Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Never enough Potato Salad !!

I don't care how you do it but when mixing potato salad...the bigger the bowl the better. Because by the time you get all the ingredients added you always have too much and never enough room to stir it together. My mom used to use this old crisper bin from her fridge because there was nothing bigger than that!
Before I got married Tony saw her mix it up one day and he couldn't get over the amount she made. His words.."why doesn't she make a normal size salad?" Men are like that, always assuming you start out big and end up even bigger. I know I try to start with a "normal size salad" but it never seems to look like it'll feed enough.
But my sweetheart of a mother-in-law taught him a lesson at our wedding rehearsal dinner when she brought out this nice "normal size" bowl of macaroni salad (I'll put that one on later) to have us taste test it. Of course he couldn't keep his mouth shut and after noticing Mom's sneaky smile I knew she had a surprise for him! Out of the fridge she whips this huge bowl of salad for the evening meal and I was vindicated. He didn't say too much about my salad making habits after that. ;0)
After many years of making it various ways and not liking the taste I finally got smart and kept it simple. It works best for us. Not a lot of fussy stuff but good flavor and plenty of dressing on it. We Meeuwsen's like a bit of potato with our dressing ;0). I like it best overnight then if it gets too dry then add more dressing to it.
I make it for many of the receptions at Roy since I can't eat too many store brands anymore due to so much of it over the years.
There's a lot of flexibility to salads. Everyone like different flavors in the dressings and such. My family like a sweeter salad, but I do like a good dill taste to mine also. Either way, it's not summer without it!!

Happy Eating...

Denice's Potato Salad

10 # red potatoes (cut into dices and boil until tender)
18 large eggs - hard boiled and chopped
1 small red onion
1-2 cups chopped celery
**1 small jar of sweet relish (or dill if you prefer)
Lots of salt and cracked pepper
Other options..seasoning salt, chopped dill, garlic or other flavors you like.

Cook all above ingredients and pile into largest bowl you have ;0)

I let the spuds cool down a bit but not totally. It mixes better if they're a little warm.

Dressing: 1+ quart of Mayo (or Miracle Whip if you like) a couple good squirts of mustard (any kind will do), a couple spoonfuls of vinegar**, salt+ pepper.

**Note: your relish has vinegar in it already but if you want more then do so.

Ina Garten says a cooks best tool are "clean hands"...and I use them for mixing this mess ;0). It's messy but oh so good!! You can make extra dressing in case it looks dry the next later and may need more.

This recipe makes a large bowl. Just thought you'd like to know that ;0)

Stay tuned because my Mom's Macaroni Salad is next..

Happy Eating...


1 comment:

  1. Y'know, I would eat this even with celery in it because you made it so I know it would be delicious. So where is this mac salad you brag about??

    ReplyDelete