Wednesday, October 5, 2011

This one is for you Jamie...

Well Jamie threw out the gauntlet and now I have to answer back. No, it's not hard to do dumplings, although it took me a few years to do them. Don't know why I didn't until the piggy kids started asking for them.
I use a basic soup or stew and plop them on top with my cookie scoop. Either until the bowl of mix is gone or the pot is covered ;0) And if you don't do homemade soup, find some soup starter or the Bear Creek brands. They work great too. It's just a matter of preference.

Example: Tonight I made a HUGE pot (about 12 qts) of chicken stock to freeze (meat, veggies and broth). I took out about 3 large freezer containers and will put them in the freezer for later use. No pasta since it breaks down and gets gross. I put all that stuff in when I thaw it out.

That left at least half a pot which I brought up to a boil. I use my cookie scoop for "dumping" them in the pot. ;0)


Recipe for Denice's Dumplings...

One & 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp parsley (optional)
1 cube softened butter or marg
3/4 cup of milk

Mix until just wet and lumpy. Use scoop and gently set into boiling mixture. I do enough to cover the pot and let it cook for 10 minutes uncovered..when that cycle is done put lid on and time for another 10 minutes. Then it's ready to eat. Bisquick has a great dumpling recipe too. I just use the one from my recipes. Either way you have a winner.

***Of course you'll run out of dumplings before soup so you can use the left over for more dumplings if you want or add noodles for later. We like it a lot!! Happy Eating...;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment