Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Just cooling off for a bit....

Ever wonder why you get started on a project and figure out later that if you don't keep it up it gets outta hand and bigger than you expected. Or...just a lotta work! Somewhat like this blog. I've been down to the beach this weekend cooling off and by the time we got done drinking, bitching and just plain complaining, it was time to go home. ;0(.
But it was soooo nice to feel the ocean breezes and lay around and eat, drink and solve all the world's problems. We did do that...in our world anyway. Can't say we solved anyone else's.
I was trying to figure out what to fix for dinner tonight and of course it being "hot as a witches titty"...(my grandpa's words, not mine) I think I'll do the cool simple way and just fix a salad and do some chicken .
We hit the best places to eat in Lincoln City and by the way if you haven't been to the Black Fish Cafe yet....get your butt over there!!! It is soooo good.
After a great pulled pork sandwich topped with Napa Slaw I asked who I had to kill to get the recipes...she said it was online through the Oregonian website...haven't found it yet...But I will give you my recipe for coleslaw. Got it from a long time friend and use it every year for one of the dinners I do...(not telling which one, you have to visit all of my fundraisers to find out!!). Well have to go make lots of brownies and some other delights for the big 30th this weekend...
Happy Eating..;0)

Denice's Cole Slaw

This makes a large bowl....you can cut it down if you want. We just like lots!!

1 head green cabbage..You can use Napa also or mix and match ;0)
Approx 1/2 or less of red cabbage
3 or so large carrots - shredded

I use my food processor because I hate cutting by hand and it does great on the thin slicer disc. If you want it cut smaller you can do that...I don't care what KFC does with theirs..
I have added different things to mine, apples, almonds etc. But we usually just do it the plain jane recipe and it's great with the following dressing. ;0)

Dressing:
2 cups mayo
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar (white preferably, but cider is fine)
2 tsp mustard (if you don't have reg, then any other is fine)
1 tsp Horseradish sauce ( if you don't have it on hand...don't worry, life goes on)
1 tsp salt

I mix this up and let it set in the fridge for awhile. At the dinners we make it by the gallon. I add it just before we serve. If you don't want a lot of slaw sitting around, just do a bit at a time. I really didn't like cole slaw much but I do like it with this dressing.

I'm doing up a large (40 lbs or so) of pulled pork this weekend and if it turns out I'll put the recipe on the blog...if I survive the weekend. Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment