Saturday, July 10, 2010

I'm Baaaccckkk!!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I've been absent the past few days haven't I? It's hot and when the hormones get cranky so do I. I wondered if any of you noticed that about "older more experienced women".
I spent the morning out until just 2:30 today running and shopping and buying all the food we think we need for our joint birthday BBQ tomorrow. My grand nephew Luke and I share the same day and it's kinda fun to have a cute little partner like that to celebrate with. But...the kid doesn't like anything except "white cake and white ice cream". Oh!! Don't forget the chips! I remember those days when Kellie would eat only Ham and cheese sandwiches. Half for breakfast and half for lunch. She did eat a bit more for dinner but not much. Now she's one of my best food testers!!

Some of you noticed that I put a photo of my Aunt Ruby's Strawberry Cake on FB. I can't figure out how to get it on my blog but I'm workin' on it. I made it for the 4th and it was so rich I totally forgot that you didn't need to "double" the frosting recipe. But hey, for some of us we like to have plenty of frosting to cover our bloopers. It's a heavy dense cake so instead of two 9 inch pans you could probably cook it in a 9x13 or....a bundt pan for something different. It's up to you. I'm printing this just as she wrote it...I have the original card and will put it in my archives of recipes I have collected from family. So don't worry, I'll have more later for you...
Happy Eating!!!

Aunt Ruby's Strawberry Cake

Bake at 350 until done (30 to 35 minutes)

Combine:
1 package (3 oz) strawberry gelatin with 1/2 cup hot water until dissolved..set aside

Combine and beat until well blended..
1 package white cake mix
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp regular flour
2 tsp Baking powder
Add dissolved gelatin
Also add 1/2 package of frozen strawberries, thawed.
(she used the box from freezer section in store, I used about 1 cup from my freezer mashing them a bit)
Mix well and spoon into two round pans. Bake and let cool or racks.

Frosting:
Mix other half of strawberries, 1/2 cup butter and 1 box pwd sugar.

Frost cake when cool and enjoy. You sure won't need any ice cream with this one but it's up to you. ;0)

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! Yum.....and in my opinion, most cake is nothing but an excuse to eat frosting - but this one actually sounds delicious - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete