Friday, July 2, 2010

Toot-toot!!

Yes, the Baked Bean season is upon us now. Every 4th I volunteer to make them for the Meeuwsen annual BBQ. And so far nobody has turned me down. But then I think the rest of my sisters do quite well with them also but somehow it's kinda my thing now ;0). Oh well.

Note to the wives....when the main course is finished, sit far away from the guys as possible...if you know what I mean.

I got this recipe from my Uncle Bob years ago. We were at his house visiting for some reason. Besides being a great Dad he was a pretty good cook...at least I think so. Anyway he always had his home ready and welcome, and "I love you's" were the norm. We lost him unexpectedly this past March and I think of him all the time. He was one in a million. So to you my friends I give you with great love and affection ....this recipe from my special file...It's been tweaked a bit but nothing worth eating is ever made the same way twice. At least not in my house. ;0)
Happy Eating!!

Uncle Bob's Baked Beans

4 large cans of Van Camps Pork & Beans - drained of most of it's liquid
  • I have used B&M beans, Bush's or whatever...just drain them also.
2 regular cans each...black beans & kidney beans - drained and rinsed
  • You can use whatever kind of beans you prefer, this is what I use
1 pkg bacon - cut into pieces and browned a bit. (any kind is fine)
1 pound + of hamburger ( I do both of the meats together just until pink is gone)
Drain meat and mix into beans
  • Vegetarians??? Leave the meat out. It's still good!!
1 onion - med or large, whatever you like
1/2 + cup ketchup, couple good squirts of mustard, salt, pepper and...about 1 cup of brown sugar. Some use molasses. I never have it on hand.

Mix all of above together and put into a 6 qt crockpot and crank it on high, then turn down when it's cooked through. Simmering doesn't hurt a thing baby....it only makes it better ;0)

I put this all together the day before (that's why I don't use raw bacon) and put in fridge.
Nuke it in the Microwave to get the chill off and it'll cook a bit faster
Then you can put it in the crock on high and it'll be ready to serve by noon or so.

Or...you can get that cast iron dutch oven out ( I have my grandmothers) and bake in the oven at 350 for an hour. Turn down on low and let it simmer. Either way they're a hit.

Note...if you bake in shallow pan with foil they will be dryer...so be sure to wrap tightly or if you like them "not so soupy" either way they're great!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, I was introduced to the "Hamburger Bean Dish" from a church cookbook I snagged out of a friend's mom's hands at a garage sale - it's the best/worst of manly dishes! And you're right - I have Shirley Vandehey's Griswold dutch oven and I believe it has magical properties...stuff cooked in it is always amazing!

    ReplyDelete