Thursday, June 24, 2010

A few veggies here and there...dessert style

I'm back...I had to come into the office and of course found the dessert pile I try and organize..I never really do. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. One of these days... Am still waiting for Sue to send me a couple cake recipes and while I do that I'll just put this one down for all of you to enjoy...it's really a great recipe and makes a large cake. But then when do I ever do anything small??? Can't help it...it's in the genes people.

Just a short note...I'm sure some of you have noticed that I never mention sifting or hand mixing. (Forgive me Ina and Martha but I hate both, but when I remember... I do it) But so far I've never had any problems.
I learned to bake from my Grandma who never worried about it. She always told me it slows down the process and she always wanted to get the goodies baked as soon as she could because someone was always screaming to eat them. She had 9 children and hundreds of grandkids so I can understand why that was a priority. Never knew kids who didn't eat the dough or lick the beaters in my day. Now they don't recommend that. But hey, I'm still alive and kicking so guess it didn't hurt any.
And I have electric appliances that cost a lot of money...I believe in using them until they burn up, then I can buy bigger and better ones. Someday ;0)

Happy Eating....


Carrot Cake

Preheat oven to 350, bake for 45 to 50 minutes

3 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil (veg or canola)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups packed shredded carrots
2 cups chopped nuts (optional and any kind you prefer)
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple w/juice

In large bowl mix flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir together with whip on spoon.

In smaller bowl mix eggs slightly, then add oil, vanilla, carrots and pineapple
Mix on low until just combined. ( I use my electric mixer for everything)
Scrape to the bottom with spatula to make sure you get all the ingredients mixed together.
Pour into two round 10 inch pans or a 9x13 pan.
Remove cakes from pans if you use rounds and let cook on racks, otherwise leave it in the other and let cool.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 - 8 oz brick cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 Tbsp lemon juice (real or bottled)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar (depends on how thick you like your frosting babe!!!
I added a "little bit" of milk to thin it. Not much. Just so it's nice and creamy...yum

Frost when completely cooled and eat fast!!! It's a real winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment